Saturday, April 21, 2012

Unorthodox Meals: Cassis Dijon Zucchini Pockets


I tend to eat out a lot on the weekends. I’m usually with the Cute Gardener, trying a new restaurant, from a never-ending list perpetually compiled throughout a life spent reading newsletters like Eater LA and magazines like Food & Wine for fun. Because of this, I have to watch what I eat during the week in order to make sure that my physical body’s health is balanced and consistently restored.

During the week, I make sure I stick to a relatively simple diet, absent of meat and filled with yogurt and greens, maybe some fish here and there, and plenty of antioxidant-rich probiotics and superfoods like berries, nuts, chia seeds and cacao nibs sprinkled over everything. My main meal of the day comes once only and is typically accentuated by small bites throughout the rest of the day, keeping it under 1,500 calories on the whole. This keeps me fueled and burning fat and allows me to turn into a complete glutton on the weekend and eat whatever the heck I want.

So while at home during the week I need to get creative with my green foods and enjoy creating special recipes that are vegetarian, unique and tailored to my specific palette. There is certainly a lot of trial and error that goes into this because in my quest to create new things, I am typically just pulling ideas out of my head for whatever is currently in the fridge. Sometimes, my experiments work and sometimes they dismally fail but that’s part of the fun of cooking and learning and fine-tuning the flavor-prediction skills.

My recent foray into creating a new kind of veggie wrap turned out surprisingly savory and all with the help of a slightly sweet yet hearty gourmet cassis dijon mustard and some zucchini squash.

CASSIS DIJON ZUCCHINI POCKETS

Ingredients
½ small white onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small tomato, chopped
5 medium zucchini, skin on, sliced into ¾ inch. coins
¾ c. water
½ c. shredded, organic white cheddar
Salt and pepper to season


Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil, salt and pepper on medium heat till onions are limp and garlic is browned.


Place the sliced zucchini into the pan in one layer and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Pour in the water. Put a lid on the pan and steam on medium-low heat for 15 minutes.

 

Take off lid, turn heat down, season all with plenty of salt and pepper, mix around the zucchinis and then sprinkle the cheese over the top.


Cut a whole pita into two halves and spread the mustard on the inside. Stuff with zucchini mixture and enjoy! You will have enough for two whole pitas (four halves).




No comments:

Post a Comment