Sunday, April 15, 2012

Unorthodox Meals: Heartstring Melty Mac and Cheese


A big problem of mine, being a foodie and a lover of cooking, is that I live alone and although I love cooking for others, especially those I love, I am usually hard pressed to want to cook a meal for myself. Part of it is that I come from a family that on my mom’s side was from Iowa, the land of huge one crock meals, and my grandmother needed to feed ten kids on a daily three meal basis. This means I have some strange in-bred peasant casserole mentality when it comes to cooking and I tend to make enough food to feed an army of snot nosed kids every time I turn on the stove. I always pre-think that the recipe amounts look paltry until I have a finished meal that could feed my neighbors, for weeks.

So I am a little boring when it comes to cooking for and feeding myself, only have mastered a slim repertoire of meals for one that actually only really do feed one.

One of them is my Heartstring Melty Mac and Cheese, something so heart-attack inducing that I don’t cook it often, but that I instantly run to when it rains really hard, which it did for about three days last week in Venice Beach. Pouring rain, a pile of newspapers to catch up on, and a cheesy bowl of noodles became sweet elixir to the hermit side of my heart.

Heartstring Melty Mac and Cheese

1 cup of whole-wheat corkscrew pasta (the corkscrews work best at catching various textures of cheese in its squirrely nooks and crannies)
2 cups shredded organic, sharp white cheddar
1 tablespoon organic 1% milk
1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper
1 tablespoon fresh lemon thyme
2 tablespoons butter

Boil water with a dash of olive oil and some salt. Cook the pasta till done. Strain the water from the pasta and return to the pan and place heat on medium low. Add the milk and butter and stir till butter is melted. Add the cheese and fold in till melted and mixed well. Season with salt and pepper and mix in the thyme. Put into a broiler safe bowl dish and put under the flame for half a minute till top browns.

Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment