Monday, February 13, 2012

Rosenthal Roasted Chicken

My friend Arlene lives on a property in the middle of the beautiful desert that consists of a sprawling garden where goats roam for milk, chickens lay eggs, trees produce amazing dates, and greens like swiss chard grow in abundance. Every few months, I am invited to dinner and am always asked what requests I have for food ahead of time as Arlene is an exquisite cook and knows that I crave certain favorites on a rotating basis. My answer is typically her roasted chicken with a big pile of bitter greens.

Recently, I was lucky enough to secure the recipe from her and try it on my own and it is now my go-to roasted chicken recipe, tasting better, and more finger licking good then any other variety I have had. I thought it only fair that my readers were privy to the moist and delicious recipe as well.

ARLENE’S ROASTED CHICKEN

Clean and pat dry a 3-4 pound fryer chicken.
Put it in a roasting pan and massage olive oil generously all over it.
Pour half a bottle of tamari soy sauce over it and cover well.
Pour some white Worcestershire sauce over it as well.
Cut up five cloves of garlic and sprinkle over the chicken and into the pan.
Sprinkle a tablespoon of lemon thyme over the chicken.
Sal and pepper the chicken.
Pour dry vermouth into the roasting pan along with some water to the appropriate level.

Roast in a pre-heated 350-degree oven for 1 and ½ to 2 hours until the meat falls from the bone, basting occasionally. 

While the chicken roasts, I washed a pound of peanut fingerlings and tossed them with two tablespoons of olive oil and Parisian herbs. This then went into the toaster oven for 30 minutes. Right before serving I broiled them with parmesan cheese sprinkled on top for some chewy, crispy baby potato delight.


I used a few tablespoons of the leftover chicken juice from the bottom of the pan to sauté some fresh bok choy from the Cute Gardener’s garden for five minutes as the chicken set out of the oven when done.
The meal was paired perfectly with a bottle of 2007 Wild Horse Blaufrankisch from Paso Robles and a Whole Foods two-person sized flourless chocolate cake with crème fraiche spiked with vanilla.


1 comment:

  1. this looks like the perfect Sunday lunch to me! will do it for sure :)

    ReplyDelete