Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Glad Corn Addiction

It all started with my good friend Bill. I asked him to be my date for an evening with my supper club and asked him to bring something for starters. He showed up with two bags of Glad Corn, which turned out to be the most incredible tasting thing I have had in a long time. Imagine the bastard child of good old fashioned corn nuts and traditional salted popcorn. What makes these corn nugget delights so great is that they are puffed and crunchy simultaneously. They are seriously addicting. Bill's small bowl didn't last long in my supper club crowd as greedy fingers swiped the last flakes of remnants from the bowl. 

My best friend Lisa sheepishly admitted to me later that she was aware of Glad Corn already but had been keeping it a secret. Apparently Bill had bestowed a bag upon her a month before and she had been hoarding it in her home snack cupboard, rationing out a small handful per day like a squirrel because she loved them so much and didn't want them to be gone. This is the best friend who hides nothing from me and shares everything so generously, usually. 
Bill explained that they are not found in stores and not anywhere near where we live. He said that he orders a bunch of them from the website when he runs out and told me he'd put me on his distribution list. 

One visit to the website and I learned that Glad Corn's Minnesota-based creators Stan and Gladys Friesen stumbled upon the product by accident. Something about Stan's renewable ethanol energy experiments in the kitchen colliding with Gladys' cooking and a big boom later the Glad Corn was born, better than popcorn and easier on the teeth that most corn products. I also learned that is all natural, gluten free, a good source of fiber and has no trans fats. 

A few weeks ago I celebrated my 38th birthday and late at night I got a text from my friend Bill telling me to look outside on my back porch. A huge new bag of Glad Corn awaited me. I have since come to sprinkle the stuff like croutons on my salads or toss with dried cherries into a small bowl for an afternoon snack pick me up.
Yesterday I discovered a really cool recipe. I remember when I was a kid, I loved putting potato chips into into my sandwiches. Didn't matter if it was peanut butter and jelly or meat and cheese, the chips would always cause the sandwich to crunch with delight and tingle the tongue. So I created an adult, healthy version that delivers the same pleasure, is only 420 calories, is super filling, and delivers an amazing energy punch!

Glad Corn Almond Butter Wrap

Spread two tablespoons of organic almond butter on a whole wheat tortilla and sprinkle 1/4 cup of Glad Corn on top of the almond butter. Roll up and enjoy the crunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment