Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Maria's Mascarpone


My friend Maria is insane in a very good way. She is an entrepreneur who comes up with these incredible ideas, but unlike most people, actually researches, learns and carries them all through to some level of success. A few years ago, she decided to start her ice cream company called Maria’s Mascarpone, with the key ingredient of the mascarpone cheese, elevating her above normal ice cream companies with its bizarrely good textural elements and creamy, good richness infusing the age old dessert with a contemporary twist. Not only is her ice cream great but also the flavors are out of this world: Pumpkin Pecan Spice, Buttered Date Pecan, Pumpkin Caramel, Peppermint Tree Bark and Chocolate Ganache (creamy dark chocolate heaven!).

To my shocking surprise, my favorite of them all was her Avocado Ice Cream. I know, it sounds like the weirdest thing in the world and I was very leery of trying it, but after one bite I was completely hooked and can honestly say it remains my favorite ice cream flavor ever. Something about the way avocado flavor turns subtle and refreshing while made cold with just a hint of sweetness is kind of the same result that happens when I eat green tea ice cream at Japanese Restaurants. And apparently I wasn’t alone; her Avocado Ice Cream took first prize at an Avocado Festival. Her date ice cream won first prize at the Date Festival as well.

Today, my dear Maria delivered a nice little surprise to my house during lunch, a new flavor called Walnut Chestnut Maple, adorned with four perfect pumpkin spice cookies embellished with fig spread. After finding chestnuts at Williams Sonoma, she spent a few obsessive days tasting the small morsels in her mouth while feverishly trying to find accompanying ingredients. Because the chestnut flavor is so distinct, she didn’t want to mess it up too much, thus the perfect addition of another mellow nut—the walnut. The maple syrup ribbons add a spike to the nuts that fills the belly with the tastes of Fall. One bite and I started to feel the holidays envelop me with all that good home hearth warmth.

Maria’s ice cream is not cheap. At ten dollars a pint it is a definite splurge. But she’s not willing to succumb to mass production and lower standards so she makes her ice cream on special order during holidays and major events for custom order. Each batch is a three-day process of melding flavors, creating infusions, and then the final mix and freeze. It is a splurge worth doing when you are trying to impress guests over holiday dinners or as presents for friends.

To order some of your own, email Maria at maria.zang@yahoo.com. Your mouth and the mouths of those you love will thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Kimberly, I am touched and honored for your thoughts and your entertaining way of expressing yourself. Thank you, thank you for being a fan of my ice cream, but most importantly thank you for being my lovely friend. You are very much an inspiration to me as well, thanks for keeping me on my toes sista! Love Ya!!

    ReplyDelete